Saturday, February 01, 2003

Breaking News! Today, a mullah said something sensible!!!!


"Chanting death to this and that is not the way to run a country. We have lost our prestige in the world. We are constantly falling behind." said Grand Ayatollah Montazeri.


Anyway, I want to go to the Fajr Film Festival but there's no information in Farsi or English on program times on the website... guess I'll have to pick up a catalogue from Farhang Cinema. A week ago I saw "A Winter's Tale". I enjoyed it greatly but I think I was the only one in the theatre (Talah Vahdat) laughing... which meant no-one understood the jokes... for example


(from The Tech Paulina to Leontes:)
So like to him that got it, if thou hast
The ordering of the mind too, 'mongst all colours
No yellow in't, lest she suspect, as he does,
Her children not her husband's!


It went completely over everyone's heads, because the subtitles weren't working. But people were happy that a foreign theatre group had finally come.


What to see? I want to see "The Fifth Reaction" by Tahmineh Milani, I suppose. Can't get enough of those feminist films. Milani claims she is an atheist. This is shocking to the vast majority of Iranians of course, but one has to admire such independence of spirit in a theocracy. There should be A LOT more of it!

No comments: