Thursday, July 31, 2003

I'm pretty busy still... I was asked to link to Parvandeh and ActivistChat. Looking through my referrer logs, I really should add mojtaba akhtari, Iranian Truth and maykadeh.


The streets are covered in black signs, because Saturday is the day of the martyrdom of Hazrat Fatima Zahra. Also it is the day of the martyrdom of Sheikh Fazlollah Nouri. He is a hero of the ayatollahs because he opposed democracy during the Constitutional Revolution. Just like all fundamentalists, he thought because "God said so" that Muslims/men should be worth more than non-Muslims/women. He was hanged in 1909. One day I was going down Nouri Expressway with a friend and pointed to his picture, saying it looked like Osama bin Laden. My friend said "If he had lived, he would have become just like Osama bin Laden!" Since then it's been changed to look less Osama-like.


I was going to say it's a waste of thought space to even think about Nouri but then I realised he taught an important lesson - you should not listen to or obey mullahs when it comes to politics - what could they possibly know or have to say about important matters like the constitution?

No comments: